My first week has been full of meetings about why Gallagher states that students hate reading. We have covered such things as I can statements, attendance policies, and how to analyze a standard. Notice none of the things we discussed were how to help our students or encourage them. I find this incredibly frustrating. As our school didn't meet AYP we have a government official in the school. Thanks to this everyone at the school is always just trying to cover their butt. I guess enough of that rant, but I have to say its definitely the rules and laws.
My students reading literacies consists mainly of social networks. They are definitely digital natives and are technologically advanced. Another thing that is frustrating is that we have a Promethean board that would be great to use and add to class participation. However, it is not hooked up to anything and is therefore unusable. My students don't like to read for the most part. We have been trying to use books that will entice them but its been a struggle. Soon we will be starting a X block where students are supposed to "Stop, Drop , and Read" however instead I believe we might try book clubs.
We also have one student that refuses to read the book that the rest of the class is reading but will read a book from the bookshelf or one of her own the entire class time. Any suggestions in how I can encourage her reading but still have her on task in class?
No comments:
Post a Comment