Monday, March 19, 2012

the wonders of Busleft

So recently my students introduced me to a new word busleft. I have been assured multiple times this is indeed a real word, even after typing it on word and a red squiggly coming up beneath it. This wonderful term means that you were left by the bus. I don't know it because I'm not down.

Now, on to the real stuff. I have been reading two young adult books with my students. These books have been wonderful and students have really been connecting with them.

The first book is A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah and is a memoir about a boy soldier in Sierra Leone civil war. The main character is a young boy who is put in impossible situations over and over again.

The second book is Sold. This book is about a young Nepali girl that is sold into prostitution in India. It goes through her trials of being in a brothel and her changing life.

I would recommend both books. Next week we are watching a documentary about human trafficking called Baht and I can't wait to see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. My host teacher says busleft is a dirty word among teachers. In fact, she shrunk like a watered witch when I said it. According to her, "busleft" implies that the fault rests upon the bus driver, removing all blame from the student that missed the bus. She has made similar words to emphasize this point, such as testfailed, i.e. "I was testfailed." Or knifecut.

    ReplyDelete